Kansas City National Training School
The physical collection at Saint Paul School of Theology includes records, publications, photographs, and memorabilia of Kansas City National Training School from 1900 to its last class as National College in 1964. The current digital collection includes photographs of students and staff taken from 1901 to 1922.
In January 1900 classes began at Fisk Deaconess and Bible Training School to provide the Bishop's Course of Study for Deaconesses, as required by the Discipline of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to nurses receiving training at Bethany Hospital in Kansas City, Kansas. Early interest from prospective students led the school to expand the program beyond nursing deaconesses.
As the school grew it moved to a permanent home at the corner of East Fifteenth Street and Denver Avenue, on a hill overlooking Kansas City, Missouri. The first building, Fisk Hall, was built in 1904, and the school moved to the campus in December of that year. The name was changed to Kansas City National Training School for Deaconesses and Missionaries (KCNTS).